Saturday, May 1, 2010

Love never goes out of style

Dear Micah and Liam -

I've been thinking a lot about kindness lately. Too often, more often than I'd like to admit, I get frustrated and impatient with people and forget what the Bible teaches about the two main rules by which we are to live our lives.

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." Matthew 22:36-40

On the surface, it seems so simple. I love God, and I love myself. What's so hard about loving someone else the way that I know I need to be loved?

I used to think that the problem lay in other people. If other people weren't so crazy, so picky, so close-minded, so oblivious, so mean, so you-fill-in-the-blank, I would be happy to love them. Why were they making it so hard for me to do as God requires?

A few years ago, out of the blue, it hit me: the problem is me. The love God offers me is unconditional. I'm fortunate enough to be able to say that the love I offer myself is, largely, unconditional. The love I need to offer others should be unconditional.

I learned this lesson while I was working in ministry a few years ago. I came to know a woman who was difficult to love. She had some mental difficulties that led to some social disorders, and she was generally a tough person to be around. She tended to have no filter and paid no attention to how her comments affected others. Her presence was threatening the health and vitality of the ministry I was leading.

I will admit that I was tired of dealing with her. Several people that I confided in about her had encouraged me to part ways with her, and disallow her from being part of the ministry I led. But something kept me from making that final cut. Then one day as I was pondering how to handle her, I realized what was going on. God had placed this person in my life to teach me about love. And in that moment, when I had that realization, I looked at this woman and, as she was making nonsensical statements, I literally saw the face of Jesus in her, and it occurred to me that Jesus loves her. Jesus loves her as much as he loves me.

It was, to say it mildly, a turning point in my life.

If Jesus loved her as much as Jesus loves me, than I am called to nothing less than loving her as well. And I can honestly say that I do. It wasn't an instantaneous love, but I committed to working on it and, over time, I grew to love this woman. I wasn't always happy about the things that she did, but I saw her in a new light - one of love.

Ever since then, I try to focus on loving others. I see other people differently. I feel like I know them better. I may not always succeed, but I can honestly say that I'm trying to do everything in love. I believe God is softening my soul, and teaching me how to love. I pray that you will know this love too - the unconditional kind God offers, and the incredible kind you can learn to offer the world.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment